2.15.2012

I've Got the Sweetest Hangover



It was so nice to wake up in the Fifi.  I had roused sometime during the night and been reassured by seeing the three glowing turquoise heads hovering above me, but when the coral colored morning light started to stream in the eastern windows, it made the whole trailer shimmer with lavender and pink.  I'd slept on feather pillows under a silk comforter in a bower of golden glitter.  If I knew how to purr, I would have been making a sound like a thresher.


I spent a leisurely morning tucked cozily in my trailer writing and preparing myself for departure.  It was stone silent except for the sound of the wind, which had picked up considerably overnight.  I was so happy in my littler trailer!

I reluctantly packed the last items in the car and headed out just before lunch time.  Next stop, Lake Havasu City, where I'll attend a Western Pyrotechnics conference.  It was a relatively short drive compared to the journeys I'd made the four previous days which allowed me to slow down and enjoy the scenery, especially since there were all sorts of charming clouds lurking about, throwing dramatic shadows over the landscape.


I stopped several times to investigate something or other I found interesting, and one time when I was poking around the roadside desert, I spied this lovely item:


Looks like a piece of paper in the sand to you, doesn't it?  But the trained eye (thank you Nate) knows this space age portico to be the doorway to a pack rat palace!  The cup became submerged in the sand, so this sophisticated rodent added a Jetson's style cover to mark the entrance of the abode.  Frank Gehry of field mice, this one.


Just before reaching the tiny town of Rice, California, I happened upon a shoe fence that I remembered having seen on a previous trip.  I was very happy to see it had grown significantly since my last visit.  There definitely seems to be some sort of  passion at work helping the thing to thrive!


There were quite a few decorated shoes, but there was also a huge diversity of other items that people felt compelled to leave - a washrag with a Sharpie message, for example.  I became sort of attached to the monument below.  It stood a little apart from the fence and seemed to be dedicated to a particular individual, one Omar Toache.  It felt very much like one of the wonderful statues in the Desert Art Museum of Noah Purifoy.  I like to think he might have even inspired it.


I was through the beautiful rocky hills of the Parker area in no time, crossing the dam so I could finish making my way to Lake Havasu City.  I feel like tomorrow is the first day of school and I can hardly wait!

No comments: